Thursday, May 6, 2010

Storm Warning

It had been coming -- coming for six months or more. This storm was gathering. It was never going to happen. How could it? Well, even if it did, we wouldn’t do it. Would we?

Well, it came and now that storm is bearing down on us like a twister in a trailer park.

For the last six or so years, I have been a working bum, a jack of all trades, a man outstanding in a field full of women, a contractor, a carpenter, a book-keeper, a tender of wounds, the man that wouldn’t say yes, cleaner of rooms, keeper of secrets, scheduler of playdates, personal secretary, mower of lawns, scaper of land, volunteer, coach, homework inspector, arbiter of candy, procurer of groceries, chief, cook, bottle-washer, and last not least a changer of diapers.

I have been a stay-at-home dad.

My kids, are six and four. Girl is four and Boy is six. I used to write a blog about being a Stay-at-home dad called The Poop Truck. However, the kids got older and less cute, so I stopped. My wife is The Boss. (those of you who know me, know who Boy and Girl are, but in an effort to maintain some internet security I will refer to them as Boy and Girl, when we get together for our cyber-fireside chats)

I look at our lives like this, if our family was a company. The Boss would be sales. She brings home the money. I am head of research and development, and the kids alternate between employees and the product we are producing. We produce good, well-adjusted, well-mannered, humans which will someday have a great impact on humanity.

Management, which consists of The Boss and myself are responsible that our employees have the proper skills to someday be good products. (I know… kinda weird, but it makes sense to me, and I am the only one who’s going to read this. And to answer your question, the kids are not for sale....today, but I will entertain offers.)

Up until this week, our company has been rolling along quite well, thank you. Profits increased steadily; while our employees developed the skills need to do their jobs. Boy and Girl are doing well in school. They have friends. They are well-liked, sought-after friends. And our company has managed to team up with a number of other like minded companies producing well-adjusted, well-mannered humans.

The kids have friends, and we like our kid's friend's parents. School is great. Boy plays tee-ball, both myself and The Boss coach. Boy and Girl take Tae Kwon Do. Boy plays soccer, I coach. Life here at headquarters is really good.

But there is this storm coming.

No comments:

Post a Comment